Big changes at Fotolog last week — we shipped the new Fotolog memberpage. It is written in Java, an update from the old PHP code that goes back to the founding of the site. Results are coming in and it looks like significant performance gains across the board.
First the member experience has improved — the new page is cleaner and has a faster response time. But in addition, we are now serving the site on less than half the boxes that we were using.
Registrations are up — over the weekend we are seeing our daily registrations up over 35% given the improved performance and a requirement to register to post a guest book message. Revenue lift from Google is trending up approximately 15% given additional contextual data from the guestbooks.
This new code base will allow us to innovate much more on the member experience — that is why we made this change — we did expect to realize some other benefits. But these across the board immediate gains are far broader than I expected.